New 4 Day Work Week Summer Schedule
In our continuing efforts to improve/enhance our fringe benefits package, we are delighted to share with you the details of the Flexible Schedule Program which was introduced at Washington College in 2008. This year, during the summer months, staff members will work a 4-day work week from May 27, 2014 to August 15, 2014.
- The Flexible Schedule Program begins the first work day after the Memorial Day holiday and will end on the last Friday before new students arrive.
- All full-time employees will work either a 35-hour week (or 70 hours each pay period) or 40-hour week (or 80 hours each pay period).
- All operational requirements of each department must be met and service to both internal and external customers must be maintained or improved with costs to Washington College maintained.
- Each office or operation must be covered and adequately staffed during normal business hours of 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- Flexible schedules will not diminish the ability of Washington College to assign responsibility and accountability to individual employees for the provision of services and performance of their duties.
- In positions where a flexible schedule is permitted, requests from employees for any type of change in work schedule or work hours must be in writing and will be considered on the basis of the above standards and work load of Washington College. The plan to work a flexible schedule must be approved by the supervisor, the department, and Human Resources. The decision of the department is final.
- Flexible schedules cannot vary from pay period to pay period.
- Employees are required to take a minimum of 30 minutes for their lunch break, and will be allowed to reduce their lunch break by a maximum of 30 minutes. Employees on a Flexible Schedule will not be allowed to eat breakfast or lunch at their desk and claim that time as a credit towards their Flexible Schedule hours worked;
- To allow the employee a full day off during the week, the Flexible Summer Schedule must be adjusted to work 35 or 40 hours in 4 days.. The College reserves the right to set the schedule according to its business needs. (See schedule attached)
- Washington College reserves the right to suspend, cancel or amend this program at any time;
- Employees who have been subject to disciplinary action during the previous 90 days may not be eligible to participate in the Flexible Schedule Program.
Employees who wish to participate in the Flexible Summer Schedule program must complete the attached Flexible Summer Schedule Request Form and obtain approval from their supervisor. Please contact the Office of Human Resources if you have questions regarding this program.