Standing at the foot of the Hill Dorms, George Washington presides over graduation ceremonies, weddings, and Town Ball games on the Campus Green. The statue, a gift to the College by sculptor Lee Lawrie, was installed in 1957 to commemorate the 175th anniversary of our founding.
A bronze bust of George Washington presides over the entrance of Hodson Hall Commons. Created for the nation’s bicentennial in 1976, this striking likeness has won national acclaim for portraying the spirit and indominitable will of the father of our country. This bronze casting of the original “Bicentennial Washington” by Avard T. Fairbanks was a gift from the graduating Class of 2000. A similar bust is on display at Mount Vernon.
For more George Washington on campus, check out our George Washington Collection.