The Writing Life
When you write, you lay out a line of words. The line of words is a miner’s pick, a wood-carver’s gouge, a surgeon’s probe. You wield it, and it digs a path you follow. Soon you find yourself deep in new territory. Is it a dead end, or have you located the real subject? You will know tomorrow, or this time next year.
— Annie Dillard, The Writing Life
Writing at Washington College, you will be invited to pick and probe your way through your studies and experiences. Exploring a range of academic subjects and fields, across the curriculum and the campus, from first-year seminars through the senior capstone experience, you will become a writer in your learning. In a community and a world where meaningful writing matters, you will be encouraged to make your mark.
Grasping Academic Essentials
Literature and Composition (ENG 101)
- Essentials in critical reading and expository writing through literary perspectives
Global Research and Writing (GRW)
- Essentials in research, writing and presentation through global perspectives
Writing Intensive Courses
Writing in Depth and in the Disciplines
Writing Intensive Courses (guidelines)
- Writing within the disciplines and majors in sophomore and junior years.
Senior Capstone Experience
Producing and Publishing Scholarship
- Advanced writing and research in your major.
- Listing of Academic Departments