Although many students who plan to attend a professional school in the medical field (e.g. medical school, dental school) major in one of the natural sciences, you may choose any major offered by the College. Regardless of which major is chosen, we encourage students to explore courses and activities outside their major.
Certain courses are typically required for admission to these programs and others are important for performance on exams such as the Medical College Admission Test (MCAT) or the Dental Admission Test (DAT). At a minimum, students should plan on taking the following courses:
Required Courses for Admission to Medical School, Dental School, and Veterinary School typically include:
- 2 semesters of English (ENG 101 plus one additional English course)
- 2 semesters of General Biology (BIO 111, 112)
- 2 semesters of General Chemistry (CHE 111, 112)
- 2 semesters of Organic Chemistry (CHE 201, 202)
- 1 Semester of Biochemistry (BIO 409/CHE 309)
- 2 semesters of Math [Differential Calculus (MAT 201) is strongly recommended and required for some majors; Integral Calculus (MAT 202) should be considered and is required for some majors; Statistics (MAT 109) is recommended.]
- 2 semesters of Physics [College Physics (PHY 101, 102) or General Physics (PHY 111, 112)]. Note that PHY 111-112 is required for students who major in Physics as well as those students who major in Chemistry who plan to receive an ACS-certified degree. MAT 201 is a co-requisite for PHY 111 and MAT 202 is a co-requisite for PHY 112. College Physics is the algebra-based course.
- Social Science and Humanities courses
Please note: Some schools have fewer requirements, while others, especially veterinary schools, have additional requirements. Students who major outside of the sciences should plan on taking more than the minimum number of required science courses. As admission requirements vary among institutions, students are encouraged to consult the web sites for each area of medicine (aamc.org, aacom.org, aacpm.org, aavmc.org, adea.org, opted.org) as well as books that list requirements of each professional school: Medical School Admission Requirements (MSAR), Veterinary Medical School Admission Requirements in the United States and Canada (VMSAR), and ADEA Official Guide to Dental Schools. These books are available in the Premedical Reading Area of the Toll Science Center.