Programs of study in modern languages
Our graduates pursue successful careers in diverse fields: education, international education, journalism, social services, business, international business, economics, government, law, international law, and applied and theoretical sciences.
Our courses prepare you to live and work in the global community of the 21st century. Our expert professors will give you powerful tools for communicating with people all around the world. But you will also experience language and culture firsthand. At Washington College, you can learn how to dance the flamenco, chat in French over coffee and croissants, make origami, and plan a real Oktoberfest meal.
The Department of Modern Languages will help you prepare for your role in the world after college, whatever, and wherever, that might be.
Weekly Coffee and Conversation
Looking for a way to practice your foreign language skills? The department offers sessions for those interested in practicing their spoken language. All levels are welcome!
- Kaffeestunde (German) - Wednesdays from 4-5 pm, Basement, East Hall
- Pause café (French)- Thurs. from 3:30-4:15, Java George’s, Hodson Hall
- Tertulia (Spanish)- Wednesdays from 4-5pm, first floor lounge, Chester Hall
- Zona Parla (Advanced Spanish)- Mondays from 8-9pm, first floor lounge, Chester Hall
- Japanese Coffee Hour-Fridays from 5-6 in the third floor lounge, Chester Hall