Washington Signature
[ Search and Navigation ]   [ View Full Site ]

Modern Languages

Language Requirement

All students at Washington College must complete the Foreign Language Requirement to graduate. One or two semesters of language may be necessary depending on the student’s level when he or she begins his or her studies.

*All incoming and transfer students must take the language survey and, if applicable, a placement exam to determine their level.*

To access the language survey, please login Webadvisor and click on the”Students” menu. Under “Miscellaneous options,” click on “Placement Survey and Test.” Even if you have never studied a language, you must take the language survey. 


How to complete the language requirement:

  • For students starting a new language or students placed in the 101 or 102 level: two semesters in the new or placement language.
  • For students placing in 200-level or above in French, German, Japanese, or Spanish: one semester of study.
  • Students who have achieved a score of 4 or 5 on the Advanced Placement test have satisfied this requirement.
  • Students whose native language is not English may satisfy this requirement with that language pending approval from the Chair of Modern Languages.
  • Students who present appropriate documentation qualifying them for a foreign language substitution may be allowed to substitute two pre-approved courses to satisfy this requirement.

Frequently asked questions

How do I take the Placement Exam?

Following your acceptance to Washington College and prior to Summer Advising Days you will receive a letter in which you will find instructions for taking the foreign language survey. You will access the survey electronically via WebAdvisor on the Washington College website. In order to take the placement survey you will need the login and password that were assigned to you in the letter. If you have already taken French, German, and Spanish, the survey will forward you to the Language Placement exam. After you finish the exam, you will see your placement score and the level in which it is most appropriate for you to enroll.

What if I forget which class I placed into?

Your academic adviser will have access to your placement score and will make certain you are enrolled in the appropriate course.

What if my language placement is much higher/lower than I expected?

We take placement very seriously and firmly believe that our exam is accurate. Occasionally students feel they are in the wrong class. First, it is important to allow yourself some time to adjust to a college-level language class before rushing into making changes. If, after several class sessions, you believe you have been mistakenly placed you should first speak to the instructor. S/he will be best able to assess your progress to that point in the class. Students often perceive problems when in reality they are simply adjusting to the expectations. If you and your instructor decide that you should be in a different level class, you should then speak with both your adviser and the chair of the Modern Languages department so that appropriate measures can be taken.

What if there is no placement exam available for the language I studied in high school?

You do not need to take the placement exam since you will be starting with a new language. You should enroll in the language of your choice at the 101 level.

What if the language that I studied in high school is not offered at WC?

You should enroll in a new language at the 101-level.

I took an AP exam in a language offered at WC.

If you received a 4 or 5 on that exam you will get college credit and your language requirement will be complete. However, if you plan to continue your study of that language, you should still take the placement exam and enroll in the appropriate level of language based on your score.

I took an AP exam in a language not offered at WC.

If you received a 4 or 5 on that exam you will get college credit and your language requirement will be complete.

What if I want to take another language than the one I studied in high school?

We welcome you to do so! Please enroll in the language of your choice at the 101-level. For our records, though, we would still like you to take the placement survey and the placement exam for the language you studied in high school if that language is French, Spanish, or German. If you change your mind later we will know where you should be placed.

I have learning differences that make studying a language difficult for me.

Please go to the Office of Academic Skills website for further information.

I am a faculty member and would like to find the placement scores of a student.

Please refer to the student’s Advising Summary Sheet on the College admin page.