Senior Capstone Experience
The Senior Capstone Experience in English is an opportunity for English majors to bring their interpretive abilities, their writing skills, and their understanding of the literary tradition to bear on a long-term, independent project in the form of a thesis or a comprehensive examination that will serve as the culmination of their literary studies at Washington College.
The Senior Capstone Experience for English majors exemplifies each student’s accumulated knowledge and mastery of literary analysis. All seniors majoring in English may choose between two options as a means of fulfilling the Senior Capstone Experience: writing a thesis or taking a comprehensive examination. Either option should be completed in the student’s final semester at Washington College.
For students graduating in May of 2013:
- Friday, November 30, 2012: First departmental deadline to assess sufficient progress.
- Friday, February 1, 2013: Second departmental deadline to assess sufficient progress. This is the last date by which a student may switch from the thesis to the comprehensive exam option. Exceptions will be made only with the permission of both the adviser and department chair.
- Friday, April 12, 2013, 4 pm: completed theses due to the department
For those graduating in December of 2013:
- The deadline for thesis proposals is Friday, Nov. 2, 2012.
- The deadline for thesis submission is Friday, Nov. 15, 2013.
For those graduating in May of 2014 (those who are juniors in the 2012-13 academic year):
- The deadline for a thesis proposal is Friday, March 29, 2013.
Thesis proposals must be submitted both to Prof. Moncrief (English Department Chair) and to the primary thesis advisor (the professor who will supervise the thesis). Proposals should be written in Word and should be submitted electronically, by e-mail attachment.
Comprehensive Exam Deadlines
All exams will take place the Newlin Room, Miller Library.
- Period/special topics paper due to the department: Friday, April 12, 2013, 4:00 pm
- General Exam, Saturday, April 13, 2013, 10:00 am - 12:00 pm
- Poetry Exam, Saturday, April 13, 2013, 2:00 pm - 4:00 pm
Submit an electronic copy of your special topics paper to your SCE advisor and to Dr. Moncrief (firstname.lastname@example.org) on or before the deadline (April 12, 2013, 4:00 pm). Send this by e-mail attachment.