Get out and engage with the world!
Connect your social conscience to hands-on initiatives through volunteering. See what other student anthropologists are doing. Feed your wanderlust through travel.
- Volunteers for Peace organizes 1200 work camps in 70 countries throughout the year. Most camps run 2-3 weeks.
- Global Volunteer Network places volunteers in community projects in China, Ecuador, Ghana, Nepal, New Zealand, Romania, Russia, Thailand, and Uganda. Participate in educational, environmental and community aid programs such as teaching English, AIDS education, and assisting in an orphanage.
Student Anthropology Groups
- sta Travel: student IDs, traveling gear, and air and rail tickets
- Fellowship Travel International: cheap international travel
- Discount-Airfare.com: travel from US cities; allows open returns and stays up to a year
- Travelocity: sign up for email alerts when fares change to the desired destinations
- Expedia: multiple search options - by price, by time and date
- Best Fares.com: see airline specials; but the site targets frequent flier business travelers
- Priceline.com: name the price; tickets can be requested up to six months in advance
- Green Tortoise.com: sleep lying down, meet neat people, see, swim and hike the sites as you travel a country
- Greyhound buses
- Amtrak rail