Please review our guidelines below before submitting online. From August 1 to October 1, 2017, we will be reading submissions for issue 4 of Cherry Tree.
Cherry Tree welcomes submissions of poetry, fiction, creative nonfiction, and literary shade between August 1 and October 1. We only consider original, unpublished work. For accepted work, we purchase First North American serial rights.
Payment is two contributor’s copies.
Submissions are only accepted via Submittable. Please review the submission guidelines below before submitting online:
- Please familiarize yourself with the mission statement of Cherry Tree before submitting.
- If your work has been published in a previous issue of Cherry Tree, please wait 2 years before submitting work here again. For example, if you were published in issue 3, please wait to submit again until we are reading work for issue 5.
- All manuscripts should be paginated, with the author’s name and contact information on the first page. Prose should be double-spaced and include a word count.
- Writers may only submit once to each genre per reading period. Please wait until the next reading period before sending a new submission to a genre for which you have already submitted work, even if you have already received a response.
- Please send no more than seven poems or twenty-five pages of prose. Poems should be uploaded as a single file.
- We prefer to receive submissions in .DOC or .RTF format.
- Fill in the title(s) of the work(s) you are submitting. If you are submitting a group of poems, they should be saved and uploaded as one file, rather than individually.
- Simultaneous submissions should be clearly marked as such in the comments section and in your cover letter.
- If any of the work is accepted elsewhere, please notify us by adding a note to your submission in Submittable. We will happily consider the remaining work in your original submission.
- Fill in all of your contact information. You should use the “Writer Name” field to specify a pen name, if different from your legal name.
- Use the comments section to enter a cover letter, then click submit.
- After clicking the submit button, you will be able to review your information and confirm. You can log in at any time to view your account and previous submissions.
- Once submissions have been sent to Cherry Tree, the works are considered final. We will not be using Submittable’s submission editing feature.
- Allow up to 3 months for a reply. If more than 3 months have passed since your submission, you may query managing editor Lindsay Lusby at email@example.com
- Further queries may also be directed to managing editor Lindsay Lusby (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Please, note: current students and those who have graduated from Washington College in the past four years are not eligible to submit work to Cherry Tree.