Washington College provides self-paced virtual instruction for the working professional who wants to develop or expand their knowledge of ArcGIS Desktop, ENVI EX, and Trimble GPS. You may start a workshop at any time.
These workshops were developed with funding through the Maryland Higher Education Commission, and the Governor’s Office for Crime Control & Prevention.
To visit our Geospatial Workshops please click right below.
Each of our workshops costs $300; for large groups, contact us to work out a rate. Expand each description by clicking on the workshop title.
GT 101: Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Basics
This workshop covers the basics of GIS for the novice by exploring Google Earth and ArcGIS Desktop. You will learn the ArcMap and ArcCatalog interfaces as well as how to classify a map and make a professional map layout.
- What is GIS?
- Introduction to ArcMap
- Map Layouts
- Data Frame Properties
- Introduction to ArcCatalog
GT 102: Introduction to ArcGIS Spatial and Information Analysis Tools
Geoprocessing tools, projections, and other spatial query tools will be examined along with information fundamentals such as querying, joining, and relating to allow you to create and modify tabular data.
- Introduction to ArcToolbox
- Select by Location
- Digitizing Basics
- Information Fundamentals
- Select by Attributes
- Joining & Relating
GT 201: Managing Spatial Data in ArcGIS
After learning more about geodatabases, this workshop will cover more complex spatial processing tools such as digitizing, georeferencing, spatial adjustment, and raster data manipulation.
- Advanced Geodatabases
- Digitizing I - Points, Lines, and Polygons
- Digitizing II - Land Use and Land Cover
- Spatial Adjustment
- Density Mapping
- Working with Rasters
GT 202: Data Management in ArcGIS
In addition to discovering the fundamentals of geocoding, students will learn advanced data manipulation skills including annotation and labeling, hyperlinking, and other advanced attribute tricks.
- Labeling & Annotation
- Customizing ArcGIS
- Advanced Classification
- Advanced Attributes & SQL Queries
GT 301: ArcGIS Spatial Analysis
The ArcGIS Spatial Analyst extension is the focus of this workshop. Students will learn the basics on how to deal with DEM’s and create slopes and contours. More advanced analysis on density mapping, site suitability analysis and least cost path modeling are also taught.
- Introduction to Spatial Analyst
- Spatial Analyst: Site Suitability Analysis
- Spatial Analyst: Least Cost Path Analysis
- Spatial Analyst: Class Project - Armadillos or Nuclear Plants
GT 302: ArcGIS 3D Analysis
Using the ArcGIS 3D Analyst extension, the student will learn how to create 3D community visualizations, construct terrain modeling, and build a 3D model of a building. All of this will culminate in learning how to produce animated movies of the 3D environment.
- Introduction to 3D Analyst
- Google SketchUp
- 3D Analyst: Establishing Your 3D World
- 3D Analyst: Terrain Modeling
- 3D Analyst: Creating 3D Animation
- 3D Analyst: Class Project - Building your own 3D World
GT 401: Remote Sensing with ENVI EX
The field of remote sensing is introduced focusing on basic multispectral analysis and step-by-step image analysis exercises. Exercises include image classification, rule based feature extraction, and image difference change detection.
- Introduction to Remote Sensing
- Principles of Remote Sensing
- Introduction to ENVI EX
- Remote Sensing: Image Classification
- Remote Sensing: Rule Based Feature Extraction
- Remote Sensing: Supervised Classification Based Feature Extraction
- Remote Sensing: Image Difference Change Detection
GT 402: Trimble GPS and Processing
This workshop focuses on obtaining useful & accurate data with Trimble GeoXt/XH GPS units, Pathfinder Office, and Terrasync. Skills covered include the basics of accurate GPS data collection, the application of real-time & post processed differential correction techniques, & creation of custom data dictionaries.
- Global Positioning Systems (GPS) Introduction
- Garmin GPS
- Principles of Precision GPS
- Trimble GeoXT / GeoXH Basics
- TerraSync Data Collection
- Pathfinder Office Processing
- Pathfinder Office Data Dictionary
- TerraSync Navigation
Guided online instruction and on-site workshops are available for groups of eight or more upon request.