Washington Signature
[ Search and Navigation ]   [ View Full Site ]

Alpha Omicron Pi

History

International History

Alpha Omicron Pi is an international fraternity recognized by the National Panhellenic Council. It was founded on January 2, 1897 at Barnard College by four women, Helen St. Clair Mullan, Jessie Wallace Hughan, Elizabeth Heywood Wyman and Stella George Stern Perry, determined to make a society, which allowed them to maintain lifelong friendships. With their determination and dedication, the first chapter, Alpha, was founded.

Today, Alpha Omicron Pi is an international women’s fraternity, with 189 collegiate chapters and 320 alumnae chapters in Canada and the U.S.A. Its international headquarters is located in Brentwood, Tennessee and it is a member group of the National Panhellenic Conference, which is the governing council of the 26 member women’s fraternities and sororities.

The object of the Fraternity shall be to encourage a spirit of Fraternity and love among its members; to stand at all times for character, dignity, scholarship, and college loyalty; to strive for and support the best interest of the colleges and universities in which chapters are installed, and in no way to disregard, injure, or sacrifice those interests for the sake of prestige or advancement of the Fraternity or any of its chapters.

Chapter History

The Sigma Tau chapter at Washington College was chartered on May 14, 1938, thus becoming the second NPC group on campus. 26 charter members were initiated by International President, Mary Dee Danielson Drummond (Alpha Phi).

Eleven years after its founding, Sigma Tau was awarded the Jessie Wallace Hughan Cup, which honors the top collegiate chapter for two years. We are also proud to claim Sally Wagaman (Sigma Tau), who served as International President of AOII from 2003-2005. 

Other Chapters in Maryland

  • Theta Beta - Towson University
  • Pi Delta - University of Maryland