Become a Peer Mentor
The Peer Mentor Application
The deadline for applications for the 2017-18 academic year is February 26, 2017.
Please note that in addition to some basic information about you, the application also asks for two brief essays. You may want to type these essays up ahead of time and cut and paste them into the form. The essay questions are:
1) In 300 words or less, describe a specific study skill or technique that you have developed at Washington College that has helped you succeed academically.
2) In 300 words or less, describe (with at least one concrete example) how you believe you act as a positive role model for other students at Washington College.
Each application must be supported by two references which are submitted electronically by the person completing the reference. One must be from a faculty or staff member and another from a student leader who has seen you interact with your fellow students. You should forward the link to this page to those who have agreed to be a reference for you and ask them to complete the reference form and submit it electronically no later than February 26th.
Interested in Becoming a Peer Mentor?
We are looking for students…
…who want to join a college-wide team to help new students become:
- Informed about Washington College
- Prepared for college life
- Connected to the school community
…with the following characteristics:
- An interest in helping new students understand college life
- An appreciation for people from diverse backgrounds and lifestyles
- An enthusiasm for Washington College
- An ability to serve as a positive personal and academic role model
- An eagerness to become more knowledgeable about campus resources
- A desire to develop leadership skills through new challenges
Make a commitment to being involved in the program from the Spring 2017 through the Spring 2018 semester
Participate in a two and a half day training during the week prior to graduation
Mentor a group of 12-15 new students during summer pre-orientation, orientation week and the fall semester with on-going support from the Washington College staff
Return to campus in August 2017 and actively participate in all aspects of orientation week
…and gain the following benefits:
- A stipend
- Membership in an elite team of 35 trained student peer mentors
- Recognition from the Washington College community for service and leadership
- Leadership skill development and résumé-worthy experience
- An opportunity to work with other outstanding Washington College students and staff
- A T-shirt
…for an application:
Access the online application and reference forms by clicking on the link at the top of this page.